There's various units of measurements in use all across lands of Avarthrel.
- General detail, for those who don't live near cities with a working clock:
- A day is divided thus: Morning (06:00), Half-morning (09:00), Noon (12:00), Half-afternoon (14:00), Afternoon (16:00), Evebreak (18:00), Nightfall (22:00), Deepnight (02:00) - all approximate.
- moments (roughly 5 minutes) are frequently used to roughly describe shorter passages of time.
- Scholarly detail, for those who actually have a working clock or live near cities to hear the bell-tolls:
- 1 day = 24 hours
- 1 hour = 2 half-hours = 4 quarter-hours = 12 moments (thus 1 moment = 5 minutes)
Lengths and distances
- Hand, or hand-width [74 mm]
- Cubit, or forearm-length [444 mm]
- Pace [1.48 m]
- Verst: 720 paces. [approx. 1066 m]
Verst is an old unit of distance that originated in Treglin in the early Imperial era. Modern scholars aren't very comfortable with it, because no matter how you look at it, it's not even defined accurately, nor is it a round unit; a verst is little over 720 paces [1065.6 m]. In some official documents, a verst is defined as "seven-hundred and twenty paces, followed by falling on knees to rest." No one is exactly sure how and when this definition came to be, but it seems to have stuck.
- 1 stone = 14 pounds ≈ 6.35 kg